Democracy and Good Governance Project
In the business of talking and acting together to create uniquely public knowledge for democratic decision making and problem solving, Educare Trust is a regular participant in Deliberative Democracy Multinational Workshop and Deliberative Democracy Exchange Workshop of the Kettering Foundation, Dayton, Ohio, the USA (www.kettering.org). Over the years, it has developed a close relationship with the National Issues Forums, Dayton, Ohio, the USA (www.nifi.org), National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation (www.ncdd.org) and International Association on Public Participation (www.iap2.org).
On Domestic and International Election Observation Mission, Educare Trust is a member of the Transition Monitoring Group (www.tmgng.org), the foremost domestic election observation group in Nigeria. Over the years, its staff had served as an international observer with several international election observation groups.
Educare Trust has produced TV/Radio clips, jingles and social adverts on Democracy and Good Governance. As Nigerians were preparing for transition from the Military rule to Civilian regime, it produced a 13 Episode TV series on Democracy and Good Governance entitled COMPASS which was aired on major TV channels in the South-West, Nigeria. It also produced posters, key-rings, cards and leaflets on Voters Education.
Apart from organizing rallies, seminars, workshops and writing articles for newspapers to create awareness on issues affecting the general public, especially the youth, Educare Trust has helped several Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) in drafting policies and blueprints aimed at promoting good governance.
- Between 2002 and 2003, Educare Trust worked with the Oyo State Ministry of Women Affairs to domesticate the Child’s Rights Acts in the State.
- Between 2009 and 2010, Educare Trust worked with the Oyo State Agency for Youth Development to develop a blueprint entitled Oyo State Youth Empowerment Programme (OYSYEP)
- Educare Trust was a member of Oyo State Working Group on New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)/African Peer Review Mechanism.
- Educare Trust has participated in all Educational Summits/ Forums organised by Oyo State Ministry of Education since 1999. It has also contributed to the National Education For All Plan and Policy at Federal level.
- At local level, Educare Trust promotes advocacy on Freedom of Information Act, Public Procurement Act, Fiscal Responsibility Act, Child’s Rights Act, National Policy on HIV/AIDS and National Policy on Education. It helped the Oyo State House of Assembly in drafting the first Tobacco Control Bill in Oyo State, Nigeria.
- At International level, Educare Trust promotes advocacy on the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), Convention on the Rights of the Child and Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women.